Jun 20, 2012 - Weekly Reflection    1 Comment

EDCI540: Special Pops..June 13, 2012 Reflection

Recently, my macho male friend, Brett, and I discussed the effect of reverse discrimination on the salaries of gifted women and the implications on young girls.  His answer to the problem was “teach girls how to negotiate.” I find this statement to be blunt and realistic, because girls don’t have to just be “good little girls,” they can be good little girls who know how to argue and rebut.  This conversation encouraged me to explore GT programs for girls, which is when I came across the “No Girl Left Behind” sticker above.  I would like to do more research about the area of giftedness and adolescent girls because it appears that self-esteem is a big factor in their achievement at the college age.

Recently, I was also asked to privately tutor a twice exceptional ADD/GT boy who was identified in kindergarten, skipped to first grade and is currently going into third grade.  His mother asked me to tutor him because he has gaps in certain areas: hand writing (script-cursive), identifying the beginning, middle and end of a story, and basic math concepts. I want to work with him to ensure that he doesn’t fall behind in his third grade class and I have yet to teach many GT children I considered this an opportunity to explore my teaching philosophy with GT students.

Also, I happened to teach this child in a 3 year old pre-school class and noticed that his socio-emotional intelligence was much more mature than the other 3 year olds.  He was a sensitive and empathetic child, but who tended to play alone, had attachment issues to adults and potty trained at later age than his peers. Those were just a few of my recollections, but more recently I’ve noticed that he is a very reflective also appears to have asynchronous development.  Since he skipped a grade he is already going to be physically smaller than the other children in his class, his cognitive ability is impeded by his ADD and his socio-emtional development is heightened.  I’m aware of the potential struggles he may encounter in the classroom, but I his mom is also considering putting him into a private school in orange county. She happens to be a single parent with a Masters in Education, but want to ensure that he is valued and his talents are nurtured.

1 Comment

• ” I would like to do more research about the area of giftedness and adolescent girls because it appears that self-esteem is a big factor in their achievement at the college age.” — So true! And – girls have to be more than just good negotiators – because they are not always taken seriously. They have to be assertive and strong and show confidence.

“Recently, I was also asked to privately tutor a twice exceptional ADD/GT boy who was identified in kindergarten, skipped to first grade and is currently going into third grade. ” I am impressed with his mom who obviously realizes her son needs the academic challenge, yet also needs some basics filled in. You also stated that he was attached to adults – which is not unusual for gifted youngsters – who do feel as if they communicate better with adults – or children older than them.