Jun 14, 2012 - Weekly Reflection    1 Comment

EDCI 540: First day of class…May 16, 2012 Reflection

Upon reflecting on my knowledge of education and Gifted and Talented students I realized that teaching effectively requires differentiated instruction and the ability to recognize the needs of individual learners.  As a professional my curriculum and instruction plan should be modified to accommodate for gifted and talented students.  Instructors reflect on instruction and understand the abilities of their students will enhance and advance the abilities of each individual learner. Specifically, instructors can work closely to identify students for gifted programs to include more students from all populations, specifically economically disadvantaged students, students with limited English proficiency, or students that have a disability.

I need to take my prior knowledge and apply that to the GT theories of Sternberg, Renzulli, Gagne, Tannenbaum and Taylor.  You’ll notice that I didn’t mention Gardner, because I have utilized his theory of Multiple Intelligence (MI) in language arts and science lessons.  Gardner’s theory was mentioned as “fad like,” since MI appears to be relatable any student.  I would agree that student could relate to the being kinesthetic, linguistic act, but not necessarily be gifted in the areas.  For instance, I like to used technology, music,videos and sometimes have students close their eyes to picture themselves in a scene.  These are just useful methods to accommodate for students who are visual, auditory or spatial learners..

1 Comment

• “For instance, I like to used technology, music,videos and sometimes have students close their eyes to picture themselves in a scene. These are just useful methods to accommodate for students who are visual, auditory or spatial learners.” I love this idea! I think that using these different types of teaching styles to accommodate learning styles is a very necessary strategy.